The windmill was constructed in 1890 of red brick and powered three pairs of overdriven millstones (meaning that the millstones gearing was powered from above. The millstones were located on the 2nd floor of the 5 storey windmill.
The windmill ceased production in 1916 and fell into disrepair. The lovely windmill that can be seen today is due to subsequent restorations carried out in 1925, 1967, 1969, 1970 and 1973. The windmill is now privately owned and by the looks of it lovingly maintained.