Thursday, 3 May 2012

Beetle Day

Last week we went for a picnic at one of our local beaches along the Aegean Coast of Turkey.  As usual I had a bit of a beach combing session with my camera.  What was unusual was the three different beetles that I found within a couple of hundred meters of each other.

The first one is a Great Diving Beetle - Dytiscus marginalis.  When I first looked this one up I was confused, as this Beetle is found in fresh, still water, so I was not expecting to see it on the beach.  But after chatting to oxyjack one of the contributors to Project Noah - www.projectnoah.org - who is a Biologist and Entomologist at Essig Museum of Entomology at UC Berkley, it was explained to me that they find water by sight and it is not unusual for them to be found near the sea or on any surface if it shines like water.  These beetles are quite large this one was about 5cm long by 2.5cm wide

The top side of the beetle is a lovely olive green with a gold coloured band around the edge.

All Images Copyright 2000-2012 Janice Parr

The under side of the beetle reminded me of polished wood.  This was how I found him on the beach, and that was why I noticed him as he really stood out from the sand,  but once I turned him over he merrily carried on up the beach.

All Images Copyright 2000-2012 Janice Parr

The next spotting was a pair of Tiger Beetles - Cicindela.  What caught my eye with these was the striking burgundy colour of their wing coverings and they fluffy white edging of their bodies and legs.  If you look closely you can see some blue, brown and red markings on their bodies.  These beetles were very small only about the size of my little finger nail.

All Images Copyright 2000-2012 Janice Parr

The last beetle was a small Broad-Nosed Weevil.  It was about the size of my thumb nail and its wing shells was almost a metallic yellow with brown stripes which came to a point at the back.

All Images Copyright 2000-2012

No comments:

Post a Comment