Friday, 25 February 2011

Lightning

Is one of those subjects that I have wanted to tackle and here on the Aegean Coast of Turkey you get several opportunities with some pretty spectacular storms across the sea to Samos.  The other night was no exception with no less than three storms taking place across the sea, so it was a case of what are you waiting for!

I positioned myself in an upstairs, dark bedroom with a good view, through the window, at the storms.  My camera was placed on my tripod, I don't have a cable release or remote, so I knew I would have to press the shutter button gently to avoid unnecessary camera shake.  I had my Tamron 28-300 mm lens extended to its maximum and on manually set to one of the storms and started clicking.  I wasn't sure what setting to use, so tried a variety of different ones.

How did I get on, well.....  Out of the 440 shots I took, I managed to have lightning in 8 shots.  Of those I ended up with 5 which you will see below.

All Images © 2000-2011 Janice Parr

This photo was taken using the Canon EOS 1000D - Shutter Speed 16 sec - Action Program Mode - f4.5 - ISO 800 - Focal Length 65mm.

All Images © 2000-2011 Janice Parr

This photo was taken using the Canon EOS 1000D - in RAW - Shutter Speed 1/4 sec - Manual Program - f4.5 - ISO 100 - Focal Length 65mm.

All Images © 2000-2011 Janice Parr

This photo was taken using the Canon EOS 100D - Shutter Speed 12.30 sec - Action Program Mode - f4.5 - ISO 800 - Focal Length 65 mm.

All Images © 2000-2011 Janice Parr

This photo was taken using the Canon EOS 1000D - Shutter Speed 32 sec - Landscape Mode - f5 - ISO 800 - Focal Length 65 mm.

All Images © 2000-2011 Janice Parr

This photo was taken using the Canon EOS 1000D - in RAW - Shutter Speed 0.40 sec - Manual Mode - f4.5 - ISO 800 -Focal Length 65mm.

Am I happy with the shots?  Yes and No.

I am happy in that I managed to catch some lightning.  I thought having 3 different storms to work with would make it easier.  In reality every time I concentrated on one storm, the others seemed more impressive and so I would switch positions only to have the same situation with that one.

Yes I should have read up more on what programs and settings I should have used, although sometimes it is fun to experiment and see what happens.

Will you see more attempts later in the blog?  Oh yes, just need another storm, there never is one when you want one!

I have been doing some research and have included some links to some of sites I have come across.



No comments:

Post a Comment